Thursday, April 23, 2009

The StereoType Demos

It's arrived. After hours of procrastination by re-doing the intro 1000x (really), I've finished The StereoType Demos. The name is borne out of some adolescent and young adult ish when I got these hurtful responses to my music taste--"why do you listen to white people's music?" or "you're not like other black people." In effect, I was labeled "less black" because of this curiousity. In effect, I felt trapped within the confines of stereotypes and was so embarrassed that I adored the Counting Crows or The Ghetto Boys. (Now of course, there are race/class politics shaping my taste of music, but I don't want to go into it here. We can talk about it in person.)

On my podcast, you'll hear snatches of music from a few different genres. However, they all converge to create sounds that speak to me in a particular way. The making of this podcast has been extremely liberating (but terrifying) and I'm working through "my stuff" in creating it.

I really dislike it when someone takes credit for "putting you on" to different artists--I like to think that music finds a way into a life in a more poetic way than that.
With that being said, big ups to all of my friends who slipped me mixed cd's along the way or dropped some on my hard drives. From time to time, you may hear song that are familiar to you. They are blessings, really. Some of these tracks have become as good of friends as you are to me.

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The StereoType Demos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.