I'm back after somewhat of a hiatus. I've been writing on The Couch Sessions and The Glass House for a minute, but it's like staying in a really nice hotel for a couple of weeks--sometimes you just want your own rickety bed. Time's a tickin'. I have about approximately 29 days until med school begins. Right. I get to quit my job in 3 weeks, now that's why I'm stoked. Since I've been writing, reading everyone's blogs, I was thinking wow..should I go to med school? Then, I go out and realize that I don't really like the scene. I'm a writer at heart, music's a medium, but so are other things, esp. medicine. I write today b/c I was seeing a patient, 76 years old--her eyes were the size of a large worry. And rightly so, she was finding out about the status of her breast cancer, today, after seeing me. We talked, in my 1hr long interactions, I try to truly get to know the person. Today's 76 yr old, a former pianist and now a piano teacher, told me about her love for piano and teaching. So, I asked her--"how do you teach a person to not just play but to cultivate their own voice?" She said, no matter how long I've had a student, they've never heard me play. I will never do it. They are to read the page until they see their own intuition. Pretty dope, huh?
It felt good to get away, but it feels good to be back home.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment