Because, I'm all about research.. I signed up to be a part of this study where they basically want to see if exercising to the beat of music 1) makes working out more enjoyable and 2) gets you in better shape, physiologically. It sounded great at first, a personal trainer, free pulse hardware, fancy pedometer, mp3 player on loan. That is..UNTIL I heard the music selection. Of course white people are running the story, and the Principal Investigator says to me in his most polite voice, "We have a REAL diverse set of music on here. I'm sure you'll like it." There is so much f'in Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Reba M., and basically ish that does not make me want to work out on this Sandisk. They have 2 Outkast songs on the damn thing and I'm supposed to go crazy?? Rrrright. So, today, I'm taking a stand. I'm going back to my own iPod. Rhythm doesn't mean anything unless it's one you like.
I'll give anyone a blog shout out if they can tell me the other 5 artists of color that appeared on the Work-Out SanDisk MP3 player.
-kw
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Oh, but don't you know that, according to a certain set of my colleages, "Science is OBJECTIVE." I'd have to replace that with, "Science is DANGEROUS" if we believe that.
Anyway, I can't believe that this guy got a big grant for this.
I'll wager that if he has chosen Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, then he's probably included The Supremes and Tina Turner--- at least they'd be more inspiring to exercise to than Crosby, etc. (although I admit I love to sing to Crosby, etc., when I'm out on the open road in the country).
I won't wager guesses on the other 3...
Yo, you're right on with Tina and the Supremes. I love them both, but there's only so many times you can hear "Proud Mary" especially being from my generation. This guy is working in conjunction with the Peabody Institute up at Hopkins, they'll give them money for ANYTHING, it seems.
I love it that you're honest about your colleagues, but it's true though, sometimes I'm quite torn about being involved with the field and mingling with that "Objective" perspective. But just so you know, I've always believed in your work...
Post a Comment